Taking care of yourself doesn't need to take a lot of time or money. What it does mean it sometimes choosing to do something for yourself before choosing to take care of someone else. As caregivers, we all are masters of taking care of others, but you can't pour from an empty cup. Sometimes we need to remember to stop and do things that make us happy and recharge ourselves. Here are a few suggestions for recharging that won't cost a lot in time or money.
- Call a friend, a parent, or a sibling just to say hi!
- Meditate. Take some time to be mindful and aware. Not sure where to start? Try the HeadSpace app.
- Lock the bathroom door. This may sound simple and even silly, but the other day I asked my husband why the kids always interrupt me in the bathroom and not him. His simple answer was "I lock the door". Duh! Why didn't I think of that!
- Take a bubble bath or a shower that lasts more than five minutes. Bonus points for turning on some music or a podcast you love.
- Read a book without pictures, or a magazine, or the newspaper. Read something just for you!
- Go to bed! Sleep is essential to staying healthy and getting enough sleep plays into our stress levels. Know how much sleep you need to feel good and try to get it every night.
- Stop and smell the flowers. Seriously, do it. It is amazing how a good some of them can smell.
- Go for a walk around the block, down the street, on the beach, or at a park. Even if it is just for five minutes it will get you moving, the blood flowing, and some fresh air.
- Take a nap. I know this is almost impossible most days, but just setting a timer for 10 minutes just closing your eyes can be blissful.
- Use that beauty product someone gave you and you have been saving for a special treat. It's not a treat if you don't ever use it! I'm guilty of this and always save the beauty masks my mom gives me a Christmas.
- Get up a few minutes before everyone else for some quiet time with your favorite cup of coffee or tea.
You May Like
Macaroni Kid South Shore Boston is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in 13 towns on Boston's South Shore. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in Hanover, Norwell, Hingham, Cohasset, Scituate, Hull, Marshfield, Duxbury, Pembroke, Whitman, Hanson, Rockland, and Abington! Subscribe at ssboston.macaronikid.com/subscribe.