As we all know, parenthood has 24 hours a day, 7 days a week responsibilities. There are no designated lunch breaks, sick days, or vacation time.
With that in mind, self-care can sound a bit selfish, indulgent, and wrong. It can easily become a low priority while we are busy feeding the baby, changing diapers, wiping sticky fingers, making meals, cleaning up messes, arranging playdates, working, etc. But if we think twice, self-care can be one of the best things we can do for our kids.
Mother's Day is the perfect time to re-examine how we are taking care of our needs, make self-care a priority again, and feel good about it.
While most of us love flowers, chocolates, and breakfast in bed, there are some priceless gifts that will make our day even more memorable. This is not a Mother's Day Gift Guide, but rather a Mother's Day Self-Gift Guide.
- The Gift of Sleep with a sleep in or an early night.
- The Gift of Solo Time with a "me date" at your favorite coffee shop.
- The Gift of Relaxation with an at-home spa day.
- The Gift of Saying "No" by focusing on your priorities and eliminating things that don't really matter.
- The Gift of Learning with a fitness, craft, or art class.
- The Gift of Indulgence with your favorite dessert, a glass of wine, or a marathon of your favorite TV show.
- The Gift of Delegating household tasks to other family members.
- The Gift of Sense of Direction by setting goals for yourself.
- The Gift of Inspiration with a good read … in bed ... in your PJs!
- The Gift of Disconnecting - no social media or unnecessary use of devices for a day.
Self-care requires focus, balance, planning, and action but it is essential. It helps us become the best version of us, and sets a valuable example for the ones you love the most.
Macaroni Kid South Shore Boston is a free weekly newsletter and website focused on fun family events and information in 13 towns on Boston's South Shore. We gather together all kinds of local family events and activities each week and add useful information about classes, family-focused businesses, book and product reviews, recipes, crafts, school and camp guides and more. We proudly serve families in Hanover, Norwell, Hingham, Cohasset, Scituate, Hull, Marshfield, Duxbury, Pembroke, Whitman, Hanson, Rockland, and Abington!
Want to be the first to know about great local events for families? Subscribe today - ssboston.macaronikid.com/subscribe/